The following tips to weight loss are easy to implement and will help
you lose weight quickly and healthfully. They
work because they are practical and will leave you feeling full and
1. Educate yourself on foods that are packed with nutrients and fiber, but low in calories and fat. Some examples include:
* Fat-free, plain yogurt with fresh fruit * Baked potato with salsa * Whole wheat bagel with light or no-fat cream cheese
A great resource for more information is the United States Department of Agriculture’s Choose My Plate website. It provides dietary recommendations on how to fill your plate with the proper food choices.
2. Replace sugary drinks with low-fat or fat-free milk, water or other drinks without added sugars.
3. Steam, grill or broil your foods instead of deep frying or sautéing them.
4. Prepare quick and easy snacks in advance so that you don’t grab for the fatty, sugary snacks when you are hungry. Keep these in your refrigerator at home, in your desk at work and in your car so that you always have a healthy snack on hand when hungry. Some examples include:
* Cut-up veggies * Low-fat cheese * Unsalted nuts (a handful per snack)
5. Eat 5 to 6 small meals a day instead of 3 large meals. Aim to have something to eat every three hours. This will help you to avoid getting too hungry and over eating.
6. Drink enough water. The Institute of Medicine advises women to drink 91 fluid ounces (2.7 liters) and men to drink 125 fluid ounces (3.7 liters). Instead of water, you can also drink milk, tea, soup, fruit juice or sports drinks.
7. Eat slowly. Chew your food completely and enjoy every bite. Research shows that it takes 15 minutes for your brain to get the message that it is full. If you eat as fast as you can within the first 15 minutes, you will over eat and consume too many calories. Instead, chew slowly and give your brain time to tell your stomach that it's full. You’ll find that you can eat less and still feel full.
8. Everything in moderation. You don’t have to deny yourself the foods you enjoy the most. You do have to eat them in moderation, though. This will help you to keep your cravings under control and avoid eating too much of a good thing.
For a satisfying portion of some of your favorite snacks, try the "100-calorie" snack packs. For example, you can have a small portion of the most popular sweet or salty snacks in a convenient pouch that is only 100-calories.
A great way to fight exercise boredom and burn the most calories is to try new workouts. Your body can get used to your current exercise routine and reach a "plateau". This means that your body isn't being challenged as much as when you first started exercising and won't burn as many calories because the exercise is becoming easy.
The best way to avoid the exercise plateau is to try new exercises. I love interval walking because it's an extremely effective way to burn calories.
Follow these tips to weight loss and you'll soon see the pounds melting off! For more detailed information on weight loss and nutrition from a registered dietitian, please visit Your Personal Nutrition Guide.