Walking Clothing: Dress For Success
What walking clothing do you need to be a successful fitness walker? Besides a good pair of
all you really need is clothing that is loose and comfortable when the weather is nice.
When you are walking in inclement weather, your choice of walking clothes becomes more important.
There are many items that will make your walks more enjoyable and productive. Wearing fitness apparel will make you more comfortable which will allow you to walk longer and faster.
Dress in Layers.
The first layer is designed to keep moisture away from your skin. Look for wicking fabrics, which move moisture like sweat and rain, away from your skin and to the surface of the fabric so it can evaporate.
This will keep your skin dry, which will help prevent overheating in the summer and hypothermia in winter. Cotton, silk or wool are not good fabrics to wear next to your skin because they will retain moisture.
The second layer is used for insulation and helps you retain heat by trapping air next to your body. Fleece is a good choice for the second layer.
The third layer is designed to protect you from the elements, such as wind, snow and rain. Keeping these elements away from your body will help keep you warm. Consider a wind-breaker type of jacket that has a waterproof shell.
Fitness Walking in Cold Weather
· Remember to wear the three layers of clothing described above to keep warm and protected from wind, rain and snow.
· Wear a hat. One third of your body heat is lost through your head.
· Gloves will also help you stay warm. Find a pair of gloves with a wicking material that will keep your hands dry.
Fitness Walking in Warm Weather
· Wear lightweight clothing and don’t forget the first layer described above that will wick moisture away from your body.
· Wear a hat to keep the sun off your head and face.
· Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from glare and UV damage.
· Use sunscreen to protect your skin.
· Drink lots of water.
If the weather is extremely hot or cold, consider walking indoors at a mall or gym.
Wearing the proper walking clothing in inclement weather is not only a nicety, it is a necessity.
It will help maintain your body temperature so that you do not overheat or suffer from hypothermia. It will also protect you from the elements.
Most importantly, it will help you stay comfortable so that you can focus on your walking.
The right walking clothes will make your walks more productive and enjoyable. Find clothing that is comfortable and protects you from the elements and you'll find your walks much more enjoyable.
Return From Walking Clothing to The-Fitness-Walking-Guide Home Page