Asics walking shoes are built with the latest technology and materials to provide ultimate comfort and durability for fitness walkers. They are one of the top brands, recommended by doctors and podiatrists and have thousands of loyal fans. I’ve been wearing them for years and they are my personal favorite!
They offer a great selection of styles, colors and level of support for every foot type. They come in a great variety of widths, from narrow to extra wide. Most walkers, including myself, find that they run small and usually have to order a half-size to size larger (I order an entire size larger than my normal shoe size).
Asics makes shoes for each foot type. You may be wondering what that means! Each of us has an arch type (high, normal or flat) as well as a degree of pronation (normal, under, over). If you have no idea what I’m talking about, please read this informative article on how to pick the best walking shoes. It will be 5 well-spent minutes that will guide you through the process of determining which type of footwear your feet really need.
For example, if you have flat feet, you most likely need to wear a very supportive shoe that manufacturers label motion control. If you have flat feet but purchase a neutral shoe (for those with high arches), you are most likely going to experience a lot of discomfort and even pain. The majority of us, however, wear a stability shoe, which provides some arch support as well as some pronation control.
Wearing the correct type of footwear can save you from experiencing discomfort and pain in your feet, ankles, shins, knees and lower back. That is why I categorize each Asics walking shoe by the foot type it is made for. If you know your foot type, scroll down to the appropriate category and select your shoe from there. This the best way to find a pair that is going to fit well and prevent pain and injury.
I’ve also included some Asics running shoes in the list of top picks. That is what I wear even though I am primarily a fitness walker. If you like to add some light running/jogging to your exercise routine, a running shoe may be better for you. They are more flexible and have more cushioning. Additionally, the widths come in a better selection than the Asics walking shoes. For example, I need a narrow width (A), which is easier to find in the running styles than the walking styles.
- New! New to the Best Asics Walking Shoes List is the ASICS GEL-QuickWalk 3 SL for women. It is an update to a popular style. I love the sleek look. It provides a lot of cushioning in the heel area, where your feet need it most because a walker's heel strikes the ground first. At less than $70, this stye is a great price.
- New! New to the Best Asics Walking Shoes List is the ASICS GEL-QuickWalk 3 SL for men. It is an updated version of the popular "2 SL" style. It's a great looking, affordable sneaker with cushioning to keep your feet comfortable.
- The Asics GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 is a great sneaker, made from materials to keep it ultra-lite and to help keep your feet dry. It also has plenty of cushioning for a comfortable fit. It also has a bunion window so if you suffer from bunions, this sneaker will provide some relief. It also has a lot of reflective materials, which makes them a good choice if you walk at night.
- The men's Asics GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 can be worn with orthotics. It's a great sneaker with good shock absorption, support and cushioning.
- New! New this year are the ASICS GT-2000 5 for women. These are not Asics walking shoes, they are running shoes. Why do I recommend these on a walking shoes list? Well, for one thing, I could not find a good pair of stability walking shoes made by Asics. If you want some great stability walking shoes recommendations, please see my list here. Secondly, I wear running shoes myself. Why is that? Because I like to add in jogging intervals to my walks and if you like to do that, too, you can definitely wear a running shoe. In addition, I have really narrow feet and running shoes are more narrow in the toe box. Asics running shoes are comfortable, lightweight and durable. I've worn them for years and highly recommend them.
- New! New this year are the ASICS GT-2000 5 for men. This is a great running sneaker. I've been wearing Asics running shoes for several years and they are comfortable, durable and lightweight. They are a little pricey but you can get a lot of mileage out of them so I think it's worth the splurge. I could not find a pair of Asics walking shoes that I can recommend in 2017. If you are looking for walking shoes, have a look at my recommendations of other brands here. When can a walker wear running shoes? If you have narrow feet, a running shoe could be better for you because the toe boxes are more narrow and would fit your feet better. Second, if you do any jogging, then a running shoe will be a good choice.
I haven't been able to locate any Asics walking shoes that are motion control for 2016. I am going to list one of their great motion control running shoes below. But if you are strictly looking for a motion control walking shoe, have a look at my list of best rated walking shoes. You'll find other brands that offer motion control.
- The Asics Gel Foundation Workplace is great option if you need a good work shoe that provides a lot of support (also comes in black).
- The Asics Gel Foundation 12 is a running shoe. There are no Asics walking shoes for men in motion control. But that is ok, this is a great sneaker! I've worn Asics for years and I can tell you that they are durable, comfortable and sharp looking. Take a look at the ratings on this particular sneaker. They speak for themselves.
Sometimes we have complicated feet and you may find that the Asics walking shoe that was recommended for your foot type is giving you pain. That can happen when you are wearing a shoe for your particular arch type but your under/over pronation is not being properly supported by that particular pair. If this happens, try picking a pair from a different category listed above.
You should never need to “break in” a shoe. If it hurts, take it back! I recommend purchasing your Asics walking shoes from a store that allows you to exchange them for a new pair if they don’t feel right. You should be able to lace them up and start walking right away without any pain or discomfort.